Pages

Monday, January 17, 2011

Branagh's Hamlet... say whaaaat?


Yes, yes. I just watched the 243 minute version of Hamlet. It struck me that they would choose to use famous actors for certain parts. Billy Crystal for a gravedigger, Robin Williams for the "effeminate" guard. Kenneth Branagh surely had some intentions in the way he directed (and starred in) this film. I didn't particularly like the "Hell" shots where he kept cutting back to footage of the ground breaking and dry ice emitting from its cracks. But other than that, I thought it was a very good rendition.

You must know, I watched this for a class, History of Creativity 202. And upon leaving the Crabtree Building, a boy who had also watched the film walked out with me. He was probably 23 or 24 years old, and he looked at me and said, "Interesting ending, huh?" I thought he was referring to the way the movie ended with a decorated funeral for Hamlet. I did think that was interesting. But then he said, "Everyone dies and they lose their kingdom to Norway. That's just great."

This kid didn't know how Hamlet ended.

23 or 24 years of living, and he didn't know the ending to Hamlet?!

*Insert slow clap here*

Bravo, Shakespeare. You've still got some ground to cover before everyone knows of you.






.... Seriously though?!